There are Senior Travel groups that offer opportunities to meet others within their age range with similar interests, whether those are fishing, sailing, horseback riding, hiking, city walking tours, or others. There is another advantage to group travel which is safety. However, in the event that an individual, or even a couple, want to wander off for a few hours of sight-seeing, it’s important to follow a few precautions:
- Always carry a cell phone, and make sure you have the phone number of the tour guide or other travelers.
- Make a copy of your passport, itinerary and credit cards and keep them in your hotel safe, in case the originals get lost or stolen. Also, email yourself copies of these documents for additional protection.
- Don’t forget your medication, and have a copy of the prescription in a safe place as well.
- Set the alarm on your phone if you have a hard stop to get back to the cruise ship or tour bus.
- Wear comfortable shoes and sunscreen and a hat if you will be outdoors.
- Enjoy yourself, but also be cautious of strangers. Don’t give your personal information to anyone, and don’t flash expensive jewelry, cash or electronics.
- Wear your bag across your body, instead of over your shoulder, for extra security.
- If you must use an ATM, use it during the day and in a well-lit, public place.
- Wear clothing appropriate for the country you are in.
Also, very important when traveling internationally – always check the passport expiration requirements before making travel arrangements.
According to the US Bureau of Consular Affairs, these countries have the following requirements:
- France – passport must be valid for a minimum of six months at entry and an additional three months at departure.
- Germany – passport must be valid for a minimum of three months at departure and contain at least two blank pages.
- China – passport must be valid for a minimum of six months at entry.
- Russia – passport must be valid for a minimum of six months beyond the intended stay.
- Italy – passport must be valid for a minimum of six months at departure.
You may also like